Chris Eaton, Class of 2005

Before I signed up for Survival in the Winter Landscape my first year, I had been camping just once – during my WOOLF trip. After the winter study drop/add deadline passed, I thought I had made a terrible mistake. Why did I think I could spend January hiking and camping in the snow with practically no outdoors experience? That course took me further outside my comfort zone than any other experience in my life. And it taught me to follow through when challenging myself. Although I felt quite naive during each outing that winter, I learned so much about hiking and camping and outdoor life skills, and had the time of my life. It taught me the wonder of being at peace in nature. And helped turn my career path from pre-med to conservation ecology, and now, an environmental attorney. And I continue to challenge myself outdoors and in my career as a result of that winter study class.

The Winter Study program provides not only an unparalleled opportunity for students to learn about unconventional subjects and gain valuable real world experiences, but also is a rare opportunity for students to live college life without the usual stress of a full courseload. It’s one of the most unique and overall influential parts of Williams College.